How much meat can I obtain from a deer?
Answer: Estimate about 40% of field dressed weight
Let’s look first at some average Connecticut deer weights and figure out their yield by multiplying by 40%.
- A button buck in Connecticut weighting about 65lbs field dressed will yield about 26lbs of venison.
- A fawn doe in Connecticut weighting about 50lbs field dressed will yield about 20lbs of venison.
- A yearling buck in CT and weighting about 105lbs field dressed will yield about 42lbs of venison.
- An adult Connecticut doe weighting 105lbs field dressed will yield about 42lbs of venison.
- A mature buck weighing 165lbs field dressed will yield about 58lbs of venison.
Venison yield is effected by the hunter’s shot placement, number of shots, field care, deer nutrition and health.
Thank you for visiting HuntingConnecticut.com a division of Southington Beef. Our butcher shop is located in Southington CT. Our goal is provide high quality deer and wild game butchering to the Connecticut (CT) Hunting community. We are one of the oldest and most respected butcher shops in Connecticut and we appreciate your business.